[Logo] Anarduino and HopeRF Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics     [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
RFM69HW vs. RFM69HCW ??  XML
Forum Index » HopeRF
siew

Hello all,

Could someone explain what is the difference between the RFM69HW and the RFM69HCW radios?
Looks like they are the same price, so why would I choose one of the other?
What are the pros/cons?

Thank you.
Rick

The RFM69HCW and RFM69HW are functionally equivalent, however they DO differ in both module size and pinout.

See http://www.anarduino.com/productCompare.jsp for a comparison of various of the ISM band FSK radios.
(the PDF link on the far right is where you will find the datasheets for these radios.)

HCW - module size is: 16 x 16 mm
HW - module size is: 16 x 19.7 mm

More information:
The RFM69 class radios are considered by Hope to be a "flagship" product, so they try to promote these devices.

The intent of HopeRF is for the HCW to be be an upgrade path for the RFM22B radio. (size/pinout campatibility)
The RFM69HW is a standalone product, and it has the same footprint as the RFM69W (the lower power version).

and while we're talking about upgrade path, the RFM69CW (functionally equivalent to the W) is intended to be an upgrade path for the RFM12B.
The 69CW has improved performance over the 12B, and has about 30% more range.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/06/2014 15:43:07

Charly86

Humm I bought my module before this post, too late for me

I Should have read this before, today I tried to plug RFM69HCW in place of RFM12B but noticed the pinout was different (thanks now it's printed on PCB)

Sometimes marketing drive me nuts or I'm thinking reverse of majority people !!!!

RFM69W -> Replace RFM12B but with pinout different : Ok got it
RFM69HW -> same as RFM69W + more output power (so Replace also RFM12B but with pinout different from RFM12B but same as RFM69W) : Ok got it

Ok then they introduced letter C for compatibility
RFM69CW -> Replace RFM12B with same pinout as RFM12B : Ok got it
RFM69HCW -> Replace RFM22 !!!!!

What sometimes they think ?

RFM69W and RFM69HW are the same pinout/function (H indicate High Power)
RFM69CW and RFM69HCW are the same function but NOT THE SAME pinout (H indicate High Power)

So I've got some RFM69HCW that I can't do nothing because my PCB are not sized for them

I'm in EU so if someone wants 4 RFM69HCW drop me a PM
Rick

Hi Charly86,
Thanks for your comments, and I empathize with you on this.
Several times early on, I have asked Hope to clarify these things, but they simply moved forward with a mind of their own. I should have made a wiki page on these things to further clarify, so therefore I will take responsibility and suggest the following: Please send the radios back to me for a full refund.
Furthermore, I will also give you a decent discount on your next purchase to help compensate for your added shipping cost on sending them back.
Best Regards,
Rick
Charly86

Rick
Thank you for your support, I sent you a PM about this.
eknas

As I have read, these two transceivers are compatible..
Means that they can be used at the same place respecting the pinout?
No changes needed on the arduino code, right?

Thanks for your patient

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/10/2014 04:31:45

eknas

Well, for future doubts I can confirm that the HCW and HW are functionally identical. The only difference is the module pinout/footprint.
stevech

Perhaps the "C" means pin-Compatible with RFM12
Rick

Yeah, certainly some broken logic their number scheme, and also in their product roadmap.. Originally they meant it to be 'H' high power version of "CW", however the pinout differs. As apposed to the W/HW having same module footprint AND pinout. Unfortunately and frustratingly, the HCW is meant to be an upgrade/migration path from the 22B (however, there are some subtle issues in doing so---so Hope put together an APP note of sorts for this. Only works however for ONE of the two more popular arduino interconnect schemes). The CW has same footprint as the RFM12B and is footprint compatible without issues seen when going 22B->69HCW. I suggested to HopeRF early on in the very beginning that they do similar to what was done for the W/HW by having at least the same pinout.

I will also confirm as already posted, the HW and HCW are 100% software compatible and they differ ONLY in footprint/pinout. Personally I prefer the HCW as it has smaller physical size, but the HW is by far the more popular.

Cheers,
-Rick
lpercifield

Has anyone tried to create a PCB footprint that would support both modules? I'm interested in using these radios in a product and might need to support both to ensure availibility and production lead times.

Thoughts?

Forum Index » HopeRF
Go to: