[Logo] Anarduino and HopeRF Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics     [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: w1ll14m
Forum Index » Profile for w1ll14m » Messages posted by w1ll14m
The devices i've ordered had a test program. the fact that you get gibberish from the tx means that it does output data but somehow it's corrupted.

Check the wirelength or faulty connections to your FTDI. Do you have other means to connect the miniwireless to rule out a defective FTDI? Also you can download FT_PROG to check the FTDI configuration, maybe the pins are reversed?
You should focus on 9600 or 115.2k baud rates to read the gibberish (possible data). Keep away from flashing bootloaders and stuff if you have issues with communicating with the device.

I use 115.2k baud for flashing my code from the arduino IDE to a miniwireless with 328p with optiboot.
rdww60 wrote:
mirmit wrote:Hi,

I've published my port of DualOptiboot onto OptiBoot v6.

The code is accessible at https://github.com/abouillot/DualOptiboot6.

Other changes in the support libraries are the Flash Erasing, to be made by 4K pages, as Spanion chip doesn't support 32K block erase.

Be sure to adjust the low fuse to DE, instead of default FF for most arduino boards, to correctly flash after reboot.

The code still needs optimisation, especially on size side

Hi mirmit,
I am trying to do the same in that I would like to be able to re-program the bootloader in Anarduino MiniWireless like lowpowerlab Moteino/MoteinoMega.
I'm doing this in Windows.
I see this post is quite a bit older than the latest update you have to GitHub.
I pulled a copy of your library and added the #define ANARDUINO 1 for Anarduino MiniWireless.
I downloaded IDE 1.5.6r2 as it is the last with the \hardware\tools\avr\utils folder with make in it.
I can build omake.bat miniwireless no problem.
When I use omake.bat miniwireless_isp using same com port I have issues. Prior to running,
* I have updated boards.txt,
* Loaded up an UNO with ArduinoISP sketch,
* Placed pull-ups on target for Reset, D5 & D10 (RGM69HW radio on miniwireless)
* Programmer Arduino as ISP
* Selected Anarduino MiniWireless from Boards menu

What I get, is a verification error at 0x7800.
I get this on multiple parts.
It looks like I've bricked one already trying this.
I thought I'd check with you before going further, and verify that you in fact were able to make this work on an Andarduino MiniWireless, and able to re-program over the air. Is this true?
Maybe you see a step I'm missing?

Thanks for your time and help..

It's been a while since I last used my arduino as ISP to program the miniwireless boards. I also killed one or two boards with experimenting. Arduino as ISP is very unreliable so I decided to buy this

Also it is important that you set your fuses correctly.
Hello Rick,

I hope the site will be updated soon! I can't wait to order a few Mega boards.

Regards,
William
stevech wrote:
w1ll14m wrote:Hi Rick,

Great update! I was wondering, when will the production start of the MiniWireless Mega?

Regards,
William

I beta tested the mega1284-based boards usjng my bootloader with over the air reprogramming. I suspect a production run is in process now, but Rick is the authority.

Thanks for the heads up! can't wait to order a few of these.
Hi Rick,

Great update! I was wondering, when will the production start of the MiniWireless Mega?

Regards,
William
stevech wrote:Did you remove the blink-the-LED code? It's 40 or so bytes.

I've gotten my bootloader with support for flashing from UART as well as recall from SPI flash - at about 950 bytes of C code.

Do you use Optiboot 5 or 6 as base or a self written bootloader from scratch? The code Mirmit posted is optiboot 6. I allready disabled the led functions and they are ifdef'ed so it's skipped at compile time.
Ok, it seems this code is slightly bigger indeed and just disabling debug is not enough to stay <1024 bytes.

I managed to strip it down a bit to 1034 bytes and it looks like it still works. So a few more modifications are required to get it below 1024 bytes.

mirmit wrote:

I've published my port of DualOptiboot onto OptiBoot v6.

Hi Mirmit,

Thanks for sharing, I'll look at this tonight!

The code still needs optimisation, especially on size side

uncomment the DEBUG define, this should make it fit just barely.

Regards,
William
jrbenito wrote:
But are you willing to put a price on it for personal use? I would also pay for that since it would save me time when implementing my house nodes.

That's what I meant with my question
stevech wrote:Yes, it's a struggle.

Yes It definitely is a struggle. Can you give me a hint if I'm on the right track with the SPI initialization and ports/pins?

I have the a bootloader working on the mega328 and mega1284 with the Spansion SPI Flash chip. And other code I wrote writes to the flash the downloaded new firmware that was sent via RadioHead's stack on a gateway that connects via a RadioHead stack to a PC's serial port. Then that serial port link (datagram) goes on into a Python-coded version of RadioHead's stack, then into the applications which are GUI based Python. These apps manage all the radios and their configs and distribution of new firmware when needed. The end nodes send unsolicited status messages now and then and that includes what firmware version is in use - so the apps can know which ones need updates.

This all sounds great, you're making me jealous! How much would you need for a "license" to your software, I'm willing to pay but I will need it soon and it's not for commercial use! My projects have been suspended for too long.
This is where I am now (I admit, I'm not so fast as I'm pretty new to this kind of code and it takes pretty much time testing it over and over. Also I don't have access to an logic analyzer). I also have a hardtime reading the flash. Funny enough the flash working perfectly with the arduin spi flash library.

mirmit wrote:I've been able to make some progress with LowPowerLab wireless programming solution, but it need some polishing before publish.

In addition to the Flash CS pin change between the boards, I've struggled a lot because, it seem the erase page doesn't properly work and some of the SPI communication doesn' t work so well. The chip identification almost always return 00.

I'm ready to share as it is if someone want to start from there.

Maybe we should discus this in the DualOptiboot thread. I will post the progress I made there.
stevech wrote:
w1ll14m wrote:Hi Steve,

I have started playing around with the optiboot code. I have issues reading the SPI flash, I was hoping you could tell me how you read the SPI flash from within the bootloader?

Regards,
William
I have SPI code in the bootloader that does not use a library. It's small and tight.

I may soon have an agreement with Anarduino on this bootloader and possibly too, the more complex higher level protocols to send the firmware to network nodes using the RadioHead stack for the radio-hardware transparency under my application protocols and file transfer code. I still don't know how to prevent intellectual property theft when I choose not to make this open source. License agreements are not honored by most on our planet.

At the moment I'm stuck with 2 of my projects, I need WirelessProgramming because a few modules will be placed on hard to reach locations in my house and at this point I decided to give dualoptiboot a try. I got the wirelessprogramming partly to work and was able to write the hex to the SPI flash over the air and dump the SPI flash contents, the part where it fails is in the bootloader. There are a few lines of spi transfers (I think you know what lines I'm talking about) but somehow it doesn't do these right so I can't read the SPI flash. I think it's related to port and pin definitions, I will post the results when I get it to work.

I would prefer your solution as it looks very complete and RadioHead looks much more reliable and feature packed than other radio libraries (that I'm used to). I was also looking for a decent project written with RadioHead to learn (I find the RadioHead documentation pretty hard to read, C and C++ are pretty new to me). Please keep me informed about the status of your project and it's licensing, I'm still very interested. Meanwhile I would like to continue with my projects so I will proceed with trying to get DualOptiboot to work with the anarduino.
Hi Steve,

I have started playing around with the optiboot code. I have issues reading the SPI flash, I was hoping you could tell me how you read the SPI flash from within the bootloader?

Regards,
William
Rick wrote:RE: Concerning the MiniWirelessMega ---

Here's the update for the 1284 miniWireless Mega series...
We now have a mega board, that we have been evaluating and testing, and things are looking very good to go forward with production.

Features:
- RTC with support 2-types of SuperCap
- Memory 128Mb standard (up to 256Mb)
- Mosfet Power Control
- ATmega1284p, 16Mhz
- LDO Power regulation
- SMA Connector
- Support for RFM69HW, W on bottomside (more to come)
- Pinout compatible with miniWireless - for sharing of shields
- modern bootloader, but may update with another on release (for full support for wireless programming)

Price TBD (perhaps about $3 more than current miniwireless)

Here's an image of one of our first prototypes:

Nice! I can use that SRAM!
stevech wrote:
jrbenito wrote:
stevech wrote:I don't now know of a way to control non-commercial use of such code - as there are commercial uses now.

suggestions welcomed.

By control you mean avoid the use or forbid it?

Regards,
Benito.

Control the use of code for commercial purposes - because in much of the world today, licensing agreements are ignored.

This is rather difficult subject. You know that there is a chance that your code will be used for some commercial product and there are always people that ingnore license agreements, unfortunately this is a problem for all the open-source hard and software projects. Some people solve this by presenting the download at dedicated website with a disclamer/license alongside a paypal donation button to "buy a beer or two" to appreciate your work and might alleviate the pain of seeing your code in a commercial product some day. And leave your some contact information for the ones that are interested in a commercial license. I for one would gladly donate a few bucks for this. Another possibility would be to divide a few features that are attractive to commercial uses into a commercial version that is for sale and have a less feature packed version for the open-source community. For example the gui for mass updating all nodes could be "limited" in functionality. Although the user could code something them selves (in which they are free to do so in the most opensource license agreements) thus making a commercial package more appealing to commercial parties.

I still have faith in the open-source principle.
I'm intrigued! Any eta for the code?
Thanks for the update, this all sounds great! I can't wait to get my hands on this.
Hi Jeroen,

I'm using an FT232R and I don't have any problems programming MiniWireless.

Wiring: No components where added. just the wires
FT323R -- MiniWireless
VCC VCC Take care with the model you are programming, some models (CW?) only handle 3.3v on VCC
NC NC
GND GND
TX RX
RX TX
DTR DTR

Let me know if this helps you.

Regards,
William
Rick wrote:Hi John,

Thanks for your suggestion, and I definitely concur on the ram...also on flash program memory.

I would like to introduce such a product line as well, but realistically, it might be several weeks before I can allocate the time to launch it.
Others have made similar suggestions, and I hope to be able to move it up sooner.

Cheers,
-Rick

Hi Rick,

I would definitely love a ATMega1284, maybe a MegaWireless with all the fancy stuff the MiniWireless has?

Regards,
William
Hi Steve,

This sounds very amazing, I was trying to mod dualoptiboot to work with the Mini-Wireless but in the process I might have killed my 2 nodes (issues with flashing a bootloader) and waiting for my next order to arrive.
Also I would love to hear some updates about this or if there's anything I can do to help, I would love to!

Thanks!

Forum Index » Profile for w1ll14m » Messages posted by w1ll14m
Go to: